Monday, July 6, 2015

Wonderings

My first and best wondering of the day was:

Hmmmm...I wonder when that writing camp thingy starts?

Today!  Boom!

So here I am.  I am a mom of five who taught first grade way back when.  Before kids.  A few years ago I filled in at my kids' school for a teacher on maternity leave.  Then another.  Then another.  It's a Catholic school, what can I say?  Last year, I went back full time to teach second grade.  I have the best of both worlds because I have the enthusiasm of a brand-new teacher with the confidence of someone who has nine years' experience.

I am also a sort-of, kind-of, wanna-be writer.  I am excited and thankful for this time to focus on my own writing during the down time of summer.

I wonder about lots of things.  Some get written down.  Most just float around in my head.  Lately, I have been wondering about next school year:

- I wonder if I have the courage and the skills to teach the way I really want to teach.

- I wonder what a classroom looks and feels like where students are actively engaged in authentic learning.

- I wonder if the teacher I WANT to be gets in the way of me being the teacher my students NEED me to be.

- I wonder if I should do away with my desk to make space in my classroom.

- I wonder if I could burn all the workbooks.


Outside of teaching:

- I wonder why I care so much about having others' approval.  I wonder what my life would be like if I didn't.

- I wonder how someone as social as I am can love activities as solitary as writing and reading.

- I wonder why thoughts that feel so poetic in my mind and heart can fall so woefully short on paper.

- I wonder how an author can write a book and have a life at the same time.

- I wonder what it feels like to see your writing in print.

- I wonder what my children will do with their lives.  I wonder which of their interests will stay with them and which are passing fancies.

- I wonder (living in south Louisiana) why God created mosquitoes.

- I wonder what it feels like to stand inside the Arctic Circle.


Thanks so much for hosting TW.  Happy to join the fun!
Dina


No comments:

Post a Comment