My first and best wondering of the day was:
Hmmmm...I wonder when that writing camp thingy starts?
So here I am. I am a mom of five who taught first grade way back when. Before kids. A few years ago I filled in at my kids' school for a teacher on maternity leave. Then another. Then another. It's a Catholic school, what can I say? Last year, I went back full time to teach second grade. I have the best of both worlds because I have the enthusiasm of a brand-new teacher with the confidence of someone who has nine years' experience.
I am also a sort-of, kind-of, wanna-be writer. I am excited and thankful for this time to focus on my own writing during the down time of summer.
I wonder about lots of things. Some get written down. Most just float around in my head. Lately, I have been wondering about next school year:
- I wonder if I have the courage and the skills to teach the way I really want to teach.
- I wonder what a classroom looks and feels like where students are actively engaged in authentic learning.
- I wonder if the teacher I WANT to be gets in the way of me being the teacher my students NEED me to be.
- I wonder if I should do away with my desk to make space in my classroom.
- I wonder if I could burn all the workbooks.
Outside of teaching:
- I wonder why I care so much about having others' approval. I wonder what my life would be like if I didn't.
- I wonder how someone as social as I am can love activities as solitary as writing and reading.
- I wonder why thoughts that feel so poetic in my mind and heart can fall so woefully short on paper.
- I wonder how an author can write a book and have a life at the same time.
- I wonder what it feels like to see your writing in print.
- I wonder what my children will do with their lives. I wonder which of their interests will stay with them and which are passing fancies.
- I wonder (living in south Louisiana) why God created mosquitoes.
- I wonder what it feels like to stand inside the Arctic Circle.
Thanks so much for hosting TW. Happy to join the fun!